- We will continue to respect the wishes of the following playwrights (or their estates) and not allow plays by these individuals that are licensed by Samuel French for the audition:
Edward Albee, Woody Allen, Amiri Baraka, Enid Bagnold, Philip Barry, Samuel Beckett, Bertolt Brecht, Eduardo DiFillipo, Ben Elton, Michael Frayn, Charles Fuller, John Guare, David Hare, Eugene Ionesco, George S. Kaufman (and co-authors), Ira Levin, Charles Ludlam, David Mamet, Jane Martin, Peter Nichols, Eugene O’Neill, Elmer Rice, Willy Russell, Claudia Shearer, Sam Shepard, Tom Stoppard, Hugh Whitemore, and Thornton Wilder.
Exceptions (these ARE available for audition use):
David Hare: GALILEO, MOTHER COURAGE, AMY’S VIEW, THE JUDAS KISS, THE BLUE ROOM
David Mamet (and Anton Chekhov) UNCLE VANYA
George S. Kaufman: JUNE MOON, THE BUTTER AND EGG MAN
Tom Stoppard: ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD, DOGG’S HAMLET/CAHOOT’S MACBETH
Elmer Rice: THE ADDING MACHINE
Sam Shepard: THE TOOTH OF CRIME
Thornton Wilder: THE MATCHMAKER, THE SKIN OF OUR TEETH
Willy Russell: SHIRLEY VALENTINE
- All other Samuel French licensed plays and playwrights are available for use.
- If the student actor advances to the final round of the scholarship audition at the regional level, s/he is responsible for paying a royalty for the Samuel French licensed monologue or scene. The Kennedy Center will consolidate this process and coordinate payment AFTER each regional festival.
- If the student actor advances to the national finals for the acting scholarship at the Kennedy Center during the National Festival, the Kennedy Center will consolidate and coordinate this process and pay the royalty.
- Neil Simon plays are only allowed if the student agrees to pay a full performance royalty if s/he advances to the final round of the regional audition process.
- Students should not reach out to Samuel French to inquire about rights, apply for a license or attempt to pay a royalty.