INNOVATIVE COSTUME OF THE 21ST CENTURY:
THE NEXT GENERATION
A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum Moscow, Russia June-August 2019
We are pleased to announce the international exhibition, INNOVATIVE COSTUME of the 21st CENTURY: THE NEXT GENERATION, featuring early career costume designers from 60 countries. This event will be hosted by the A.A. Bakhrushin State Central Theatre Museum in Moscow, Russian Federation premiering in June of 2019 and housed in the State Historical Museum near Red Square. Early career designers are invited to submit their work for consideration. Here are the curatorial criteria and exhibition description:
- Designers who have started their career in the 21st century
- Emphasis on innovation and technology, such as media, computers, laser cutters, 3D printing, robotics, lighting
- Students, young professionals, independent designers, fashion designers, interpreters, and costume makers
- Exhibition will include renderings, photographs, videos, and 3D costumes
- Costume designs for theatre, ballet, opera, cinema, devised work, performing arts, fashion, unproduced projects
- Exhibition catalog and permanent website archive
- For a more detailed description and submission webpage, go to https://innovativecostume.secure-platform.com
- Deadline for applications: February 1, 2018
- To view the previous exhibition in this series, Costume at the Turn of the Century: 1990-2015, go to http://worldcostumedesign.com
- Innovative Costume in the 21st. Century: The Next Generation is co-sponsored by the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT), which connects performing arts design and technology communities to ensure a vibrant dialog among practitioners, educators, and students.
- USITT will provide support in the form of travel grants to travel to the exhibition in Moscow, for emerging costume designers whose work is curated from the United States.
As curators of Innovative Costume of the 21st Century: The Next Generation, our goal is to both curate and document the artistic vocabulary the next generation of theatre and fashion designers are creating, and to generate a platform by which dialogue on the issues of the day may be explored. For questions, please contact one of the US co-curators.
Alexandra Bonds Laura Crow Margaret Mitchell