Dream Design (Formerly Design Storm)
Are you interested in collaboration? Dream Design is the at-festival option. Directors, designers, and dramaturgs from different schools will be teamed up to create the production of their dreams. Design Storm is a timed collaborative event that teams a director with a Dramaturg, and designers: lighting, sound, costume, scenery, & and make-up; to create an approach to a classic or contemporary text that is unlike all previous productions.
- The DTM co-chair and co-vice chair will organize the registrants into teams of as many of the following as the registration allows: director, Dramaturg, designers (lighting, sound, scenic, costume, make-up) and comprised of members from as many different schools as possible.
- By mid December each individual will be informed by email the production team position and play he/she will be working with.
- Participants will not be informed of who their teammates are until the introductory meeting at the Festival.
What to Bring to Festival
- A copy of the script (one per team may be available at the festival).
- Research “morgue” that includes images, historical information, criticism, script analysis.
- Paper (including sketch pads, scratch paper, computer paper) as needed for the production responsibility.
- Writing utensils (colored pencils, markers, pens, pencils) as needed for the production responsibility.
- Sound designers need to provide their own resources for collecting, creating, and playing their design. A sound system will be provided with a line input and CD sound playback for presentation.
- Laptop computer with Wi-Fi capabilities (optional).
- Any other specific supplies needed for the production responsibility.
Design Storm Schedule at the Festival
Wednesday of Festival
Introductory meeting (mandatory) in the Design Storm room.
- Team members will meet for 1 hour & move the project forward.
- Expectations will be delineated
Thursday of Festival, late afternoon
Each director is required to turn in to the Design Storm stage manager a concept statement (one typed page).
Friday of Festival
- Teams gather to complete and set up production displays
- Each team will be provided with a 4′ wide x 8′ high panel to post their conceptual write-ups, drawings, swatches, images, and whatever the team deems appropriate to communicate the concept of the play.
- Final Presentations to directing/dramaturgy/design respondents
- There will be approximately 7 minutes for the team to present their idea and approximately 15 minutes for discussion with the respondents.
- The team can choose who and how their team will present the material.
Between the Introductory Meeting & Final Presentations
- After the Introductory Meeting, each team is allowed 6 hours to meet prior to the designated Display Set-Up.
- A meeting consists of any time 2 or more team members are together discussing ideas about the project.
- Individuals may continue to work on their own outside the 6 allotted meeting hours.
- For conceiving of your own ideas, gathering research, or preparing your portion of the entry.